Sunday, June 17, 2007

Introduction

With 4 children (mostly grown up now), a full-time job, a mixed cooking heritage from my parents and a health education, I had to find a way to adapt the recipes I knew and loved and to "invent" some new ones.
My father was from mainland Greece: Fokida in Roumeli, where the most treasured food is meat, although in the old times it was only eaten on holidays, like Christmas, Easter and weddings. So, in the ancient Greek heritage, their main food was bread, cheese and eggs (these combine nicely into their wonderful pies). My mother was from 40 Ekklissies (40 churches, Kirk Kilissi today) in eastern Thrace, which now belongs to Turkey, where food includes raisins and pine nuts with main meals (even chicken in desserts) and many spices and is rather unusual in Greece. Both mainland and oriental Greek cuisine can be too oily at times and I hated this, so I started adding less fat.
Then my children, growing up, became fans of fast food and I had to find a way to cook something that looked like fast food, but was healthier.
Since I enjoyed cooking, even though often I did this late at night for the next day, I started buying recipe books, with a special fascination for the food of other countries, adapting the recipes, when the ingredients were not available.
This way, I have collected (in my mind) a lot of recipes, so I thought it was time to put them on paper - or the web rather.

No comments: